Monday, May 8, 2017

Dancing in the Garden: Hopping Down the Path, Revisited

This is a new printing of a woodcut I made for my Dancing in the Garden series. Hopping Down the Path is where I left off a year and a half ago. Now that I'm focusing my residency at Soaring Gardens on this project, it seemed necessary to continue with this image.

It's funny, when I first printed this work, I felt deeply disappointed with it. But maybe I was too close to the project or in a bad headspace at the time, because now I like it much better. For this new version I changed the color of the path to a cool grey rather than brown. I also added more texture to the grass and stripes of green shadows behind the figure. I do feel this version fits in better with the others in this series; although I accidentally made the boy's complexion more pink than it is in other renderings of his character. Above all, I'm moving in the right direction, and it feels good to be back on the Garden series.

No comments:

Post a Comment