Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Shepherd Boy

"Shepherd Boy" (Dedicated to Samson)
8.5" x 11"
Oil-based inks on handmade Japanese paper

I made this for my cousin's new baby boy, Samson. His mom mentioned that she likes lambs, which made me think of both actual shepard boys and little kids with their stuffed animals. I wanted to make an image that plays in the space between pretend and real life. My favorite thing about this finished image is that I didn't overwork it. I didn't try to cram too much in. It's just the little boy with his stuffed sheep superimposed over a wolf howling at the moon. I also like that it has the little kid subject matter, but the color palette is fairly masculine instead of baby-cutesy pastels.

2 comments:

  1. Really nice, Martha! I like the color palette a lot, and the drawing is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this print a lot. Love the lamb especially.

    ReplyDelete