Sunday, October 20, 2013

"Ravens Guard the Sun Owl" by Kenojuak Ashevak

This is another stonecut by Kenojuak Ashevak. I first wrote about a print of hers four months ago. Since I've been on an owl kick, I simply had to come back to this artist, who depicted so many fantastic owls and owl-like creatures.

Wherever you stand near him, you cannot block the view; he is so much taller. And anyway, those feathers on his headdress will reach out and club anyone who gives us any trouble. The raven I see in double vision talks talks talks, but to whom? The owl stands spread. Vulnerable, as a large target. And yet it is also the position he takes when swooping down on prey. I'm not sure if he's about to embrace or disembowel. Isn't there always a little bit of both sides? Aren't our best assets our worst flaws? Don't we all have a little heaven and hell?

No comments:

Post a Comment