Friday, May 24, 2013

"Shepherd Boy"

4-layer reduction woodcut
5.5" x 8" (image)

I was really excited about this print while I was making it, but alas, it's one of those that left me completely disappointed in the end. The light blue is too light in many places, and the orange and green are too washed out to stand along; there really needed to be one more layer of medium value before the final layer of dark blue. Why have I been so timid with my color execution these past couple years? And how can I get over these troublesome apprehensions?

The original drawing had been truly lovely, but since I drew this one directly on the block, that drawing is now destroyed. I think this should have been a white line woodcut.As this is a reduction, I can't go back into this (except to paint over the individual prints, which I might do.)

I did stay up until 2:30am two nights in a row working on this, and that was exhilarating. Nice to really savor the process, even if in this case the product was a letdown. And hell, so long as I'm paying attention, I can learn from my mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment