Friday, May 31, 2013

"Leaping Together"

8" x 10" (image)
5-layer reduction woodcut
Edition of 5

This was a commission, which I was enthusiastic about making just because I've never made a woodcut of dolphins, or any animal shaped much like a dolphin. It was an interesting challenge to render an animal so smooth and shiny in a medium so course. Especially when I normally depict things with fur, and occasionally scales or feathers. I did find a connection in the form of camouflage and dissipation; in addition to going with monochromatic blues, I tried to echo some of the squiggles and shapes of the shadows/highlights on the dolphins in the moon and splash of water. And of course the horizontal woodgrain worked well giving the sky some depth and the water some texture. Overall I'm rather pleased.

1 comment:

  1. It is quite lovely. SO much movement and I love the color scheme.

    ReplyDelete