Friday, June 10, 2011

#10 - 30 Prints in 30 Days (Water Mandala)

"Water Mandala"
Collograph with linocut stamping
Water based inks on blue Subi paper
9" x 9"

This is the first print in this month-long project that I'm not putting up for sale. Even at a low price, the craft is just not up to par. I like the concept of the print, but it just wasn't something I could do in a day, certainly not a day where I was taking care of kids for 12 hours! One of the most difficult aspects of making one whole print in a single day is coming up with ideas that are small and simple enough to do them justice in such a limited amount of time. As a work-from-home mother, I am greatly inspired by artist Nikki McClure. I discovered her book Awake to Nap in a local book store. It features a series of stunning yet simple cut paper pieces she did in her spare time while pregnant and when her child was first born. She would create them in the little pockets of time in between all her other responsibilities, such as when the baby was napping. Each image illustrates a letter of the alphabet, but book ends long before "Z" because McClure's life and time no longer accommodated the project. In this way, the book becomes quite personal and honest.

I need to think simpler. I'm interested in making some mandalas, but I need to hone on a more specific subject that will lend itself to a clean and complete execution. That said, I'm glad I made this print. As I said, I like the concept. I just need to take at least a couple weeks to work on it and enlarge the scale to do it properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment