Sunday, March 22, 2015

Indiegogo Campaign Art Card #2: Portrait of Frida Kahlo

2.5" x 3.5" art card
Oil-based ink on cream-colored, 90" smooth paper
Open edition

This is the second of 8 original woodcut art cards being created during my Indiegogo fundraising campaign. These will be thank-you gifts for all funders who contribute $20 or more. Funders will get to choose their preferred design to receive.

This is a portrait of Frida Kahlo. Kahlo was one of the first artists whose work captured my attention and influenced my own work. I first learned about her paintings when I was in junior high. At the age of 17 I had the good fortune to visit Mexico, including her home which has been turned into an art museum. In graduate school, even though I wasn't looking at or thinking much about Kahlo's work, faculty and fellow students regularly brought Kahlo's influence up in critiques of my work.


I intended this print to simply be a black and white art card. However, after creating it I realized how well it lends itself to hand-coloring. The color version is printed on watercolor paper.

Both cards are for sale on my Etsy store. The black and white version can be found here, and the color can be found here
All proceeds from Etsy sales between now and April 24th go directly to fund Words On Woodcuts Press!   


No comments:

Post a Comment