Sunday, December 5, 2010

"Lady Holding A Baby" by Stephen White

I discovered this 1973 gem here. The figures in this picture are stylized in the same fashion of White’s other works (most evident in the woman’s face) and yet in this image I only noticed that after I was grasped by the overall image. The grace and delicacy of the outlines along with the tender and domestic subject matter remind me of Mary Cassat’s gorgeous drypoints, often also of mothers and children. White's paintings contain a great deal more color, thick textures, and elaborate patterns, but in this much more simple work the weight of soft, warm flesh, comes across with great economy of line and limited color palette. For this reason I find it far more powerful and expressive than any other work by the artist that I've been able to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment