Sunday, April 26, 2020

My puzzle piece for "100 Acts of Kindness" Monumental Collaborative Woodcut

I finished carving and proofing my piece of the puzzle in 100 Acts of Kindness, a monumental collaborative woodcut organized by Maria Arango-Diener. 

When I participated in Maria's last monumental collaboration the Peace Puzzle, I drew and carved a picture of a peaceful routine from my personal life - reading to my daughters. It was a personal little slice from my life. Click here to see that print. 

This time I went in a completely different direction. At first I contemplated make an image to represent some kindness I'd either shown others or that others have shown me, but nothing jumped out as particularly satisfying.

I've also been doing mostly text-based art for the SUBMIT project, and began to consider how I might do something text-based. This led me to considering the verbal exchange people engage in after an act of kindness has been committed. Typically the person on the receiving end says "Thank you." So that phrase was a possibility. By itself it seemed  too blasé. 


What is more interesting to me is how people respond to a "Thank you." This is often a point of mild contention. Sometimes people feel uncomfortable about being thanked, particularly if they feel it wasn't a big deal and they don't want the receiver of kindness to feel indebted to them. Other times people very much want to be recognized for their efforts with a thank you. There's also contention over the most common phrase in English offered in response to gratitude, which is "You're welcome." In Why Don't We Say 'Your Welcome' Anymore, Caroline Bologna says, "Over the years, American etiquette experts, baby boomers and writers have lamented the apparent decline in the use of the phrase “you’re welcome” in everyday conversation." This rang true to me since I've heard one of my friends who is a retired librarian in her 90's complain about how people now say "No problem" instead of "You're welcome." To my friend, the sentiment reduces the weight of the act of kindness, and therefore also negates the gratitude expressed by the recipient. But in her article, Bologna notes that for many younger people the phrase "You're welcome" has come to be associated with bragging or sarcasm, and that alternatives such as "No problem" are a solution to that linguistic shift. Indeed, the idea of making a print that featured simply the phrase "You're Welcome!" outside of any context did make the sentiment seem comical and insincere to me. 

After considering all the alternatives to "You're Welcome", I landed on "Happy To Help!" It struck me as sounding sincere, acknowledging the weight of the kindness or "help", while also noting one of the most important aspects of genuine kindness, which is that being kind, while involving effort and maybe sacrifice, can also bring us joy. And the best way to encourage kindness from everyone is to celebrate the joyful aspects of being kind. 








1 comment:

  1. I like that! Very well stated. Now, I just have to remember to use that phrase because it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete