Sunday, June 16, 2013

Owl and Cat in Love (Image 2)

"Cat Hunting A Rabbit"
Woodcut (reduction)
11.25" x 11.75" (image)
15" x 16" (paper)
Oil based inks on Subi paper
Limited edition of 5

Now that the Cats A-Z book is finished I have resumed work on Owl and Cat in Love, my purely visual re-telling of Edward Lear's poem "The Owl and the Pussycat"

Here we have page 2! The brown color for the rabbit and cat are brighter and more orange than I did for page 1 because I thought that first print was a bit darker than I wanted. One decision I might make for the final book version is to use the brighter brown for the rabbit in the foreground, and the darker brown for the owl/cat that are swooping/pouncing on their prey.

Thankfully we live in this wonderful digital age where I can modify the colors however I like after the fact. This gives me the flexibility to experiment more as I make each woodcut. If I find certain color combinations work better, I can go back and digitally make the changes to any previous images so that they all fit together in the finished book. Apparently this is becoming the norm for a lot of artists of my generation. The Japanese have a word which refers to change, but that also translates to "the sadness of things." But here we see that sometimes change is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment